[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Tropical Models

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:16:48 -0700

At 12:51 AM 7/6/2005, you wrote:

Hello Richard
in the world of radio (I'm radioam.) we speak of tropical model when a varnish recover the intern parts of the device. I had a few years earlier an old BC??? receiver from the US army you could put it in water. There were perhaps a few models of Rollei prepared so.
Claude

There were a lot of WWII radios which were varnish or shellac coated and could be cleaned with water in shipyard repair shops without damaging the electronics. I was surprised when I first saw that done in Long Beach Naval Shipyard in 1955, when we went in for an overhaul. I was electronics officer and followed the overhaul on a daily basis.

The radios I'm speaking of used vacuum tubes, and of course would not be able to operate under water. They could probably have been cleaned just about as well with a vacuum cleaner or air hose, but water was the norm then.

I have the feeling that such a treatment would freeze all the moving parts together, and if not, would surely affect the timing of shutters, etc.

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34 /mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34/mn)

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA