[rollei_list] Re: Rollei SL2000F and 3003: VERY LONG

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:42:49 -0400

At 09:16 AM 3/30/2010, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Interesing good piece of work Marc, however as you wrote Prochnow
>tells a different history in the Report 3. About June 1974 the new
>Rollei CEO Dr. Heinrich Peesel had talkings with Messrs Franzmann, an
>architect studio from Hamburg, they presented some ideas about a
>"cubic" camera with motor and modular design. In a second meeting in
>August 1974 they presented to Rollei a prototype shown in the page
>44-850. This prototype had similarity with the SLX camera and looked
>like a mini MF SLR camera. Rollei became interested about the first
>prototype developing. Franzmann original idea was about a mechanical
>camera with additional motor,  Rollei decided to introduce several of
>the Rolleiflex SL 35E and a few of SLX electronics to the prototype,
>Franzmann prototype only was  the cubic body almost empty with a few
>parts. Dr. Alster from Rollei had examined the prototype and there was
>enthusiasm about the idea. The camera developing had problems due to
>some electronics parts. Ernst Moeckl,. linked to Rollei through some
>cameras and projectors design, finished the prototype in 1977, however
>the developing work was ready at the ending of 1979 and in October
>1980 the camera SL 2000F and 2000 F motor started their regular
>production, according Prochnow keeping the highest quality standards
>and they were made in Germany only, he describes the developing along
>four pages with photographs, data and dates.

And, again, this is bogus, Carlos. The few remaining Zeiss Ikon records -- and the few Zeiss Ikon executives of the time who are still around -- make that certain. Yeah, RolleiLunatics really DO want to believe the 2000F was an internal invention but the surviving historical record makes this a really bogus claim.

Back when Prochnow was alive, I asked you to put me in touch with him over this issue, and you failed to do so. I really would have enjoyed sharing a beer with you and Prochnow and Wolf Wehren over the demise of Zeiss Ikon. We all would have learned a lot!

If this is NOT true, why did Zeiss Ikon present a working SL 2000F at the 1972 Photokina? One of our List members picked it up and played with it, and it worked.

If you want to agree that Zeiss Ikon passed on a one-off hand-made camera to Rolleiflex in 1974, I have no problem. But the camera did work -- again, one of our members used it and it worked for him -- and then Rolleiflex had to reinvent the wheel to turn this into a commercial product, I have no problem -- there is a surviving memo to the Zeiss Foundation from Zeiss Ikon in 1971 spelling out the problems they would have in producing this in real-time.

But to suggest, as your RolleiFanatics do, that the SL 2000F was an internal Rollei development is so much gibberish. Let us accept the magnificent efforts Rollei made to perfect an imperfect Zeiss Ikon product. The historical record on this is clear. Let us not ever disregard the work of Prochnow but he was just flat wrong on this.

You have not read my book?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!