[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:56:14 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 5:27 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro Film

> Wow Richard, that was thorough, and very interesting.
>
> I do use hewes reels. You're right about all their
> salutary effects
> Marc. As for darkroom fun, Marc, I learned a bit about
> selenium
> toning last night!
>
> I presoak for 3 minutes before developing. I used Kodak
> indicator
> stop bath (which I know is acidic, as I once spilled some
> of the
> concentrate on my unprotected hand). I used Kodafix (which
> has a
> hardener), and I used a hypo clearing agent after the fix.
> According
> the hypo clearing agent's instructions, one minute
> continuous
> agitation in water, before and after the clearing, is all
> that's
> required for washing, I do one more with a wetting agent.
> Not enough
> washing causing the curl?

   Read the instructions again. The recommended procedure
for KHCA is to rince the film for 30 seconds after fixing,
treat in KHCA for 1 to 2 minutes, and then wash in running
water for 5 minutes. This will wash down hypo to archival
levels which requires a 30 minute running water wash
otherwise. Probably using a non hardening fixer would reduce
the time by about half when the wash aid isn't used but it
would be the same as hardening fixer after the wash aid.
    The 30 second rinse is to extend the capacity of the
wash aid if its to be reused. If  you use it one-shot the
rinse isn't necessary.

    As stated in my original post curling is mostly due to a
lack of anti-curling backing on the film. It is caused by
the difference in shrinkage of the emulsion and the support.
In nearly any film the emulsion will change dimensions much
more than the support and generally ends up by shrinking
down after drying. Sometimes curling can be reduced by
leaving the film hanging on a weight for a very long period,
say several hours, even though it seems to be completely
dry. This is a mechanical problem the solution to which was
found a century ago. The fact that this film has the problem
suggests the manufacturer is not at all up to current
standards of technology.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA