[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:38:06 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:29 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rollei Retro Film

> Hello all,
>
> I took the chance and bought 100' roll of Rollei Retro 400
> (135).
> Shot some through my Rolleiflex, and processed with
> Rodinal 1+25 for
> 7.5 min.
> Not bad at all. The film curls something fierce about the
> length of
> the roll (sprockets curl towards each other). I have very
> little
> experience to make a reliable comparison, but so far this
> has been
> the best film I've developed with Rodinal. Some of you
> said it was
> Agfa by another name... Maco makes it.
>
> I thought I'd report on my findings.
>
> Elias

    Are you using a hardining fixing bath? If not try one
and see if if it helps with the curling. Curling is mostly
caused by the differential shrinking of the emulsion vs: the
support. Most film, both roll and sheet, has a coating of
gelatin on the back to counteract the curling. Usually this
back coating also contains the anti-halation dye. The dye is
changed to a colorless form by the sulfite in the developer
and fixing baths. Not all films have anti-curling coatings.
My suggestion about the hardener is that it will tend to
reduce the amount of shrinking.
    Its also possible that a developer which has less
swelling effect on the emulsion may help. For instance any
high salt type like D-76 will cause less swelling and
subsequent shrinking than Rodinal. A real test would be to
mix up some Kodak D-25 for comparison. D-25 is buffered to
neutral pH and has very little swelling effect on the
emulsion. It is an extra-fine-grain formula, essentially
D-23 with the added buffer. It looses about 3/4 stop of
speed when used full strength. At 1:3 it delivers full
speed, about the same grain as D-76, and is an acutance
developer.

Kodak D-25
Water (at 125F or 52C)                    500.0 ml
Metol                                       7.5 grams
Sodium sulfite, dessicated                100.0 grams
Sodium bisulfite                           15.0 grams
Water to make                               1.0 liter

Developing times and other characteristics are similar to
Microdol-X but it is NOT the same developer.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx