[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro Film

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:40:18 -0500

At 12:29 AM 2/25/2008, ERoustom wrote:
 >Hello all,
 >
 >I took the chance and bought 100' roll of Rollei Retro 400 (135).
 >Shot some through my Rolleiflex, and processed with Rodinal 1+25 for
 >7.5 min.
 >Not bad at all. The film curls something fierce about the length of
 >the roll (sprockets curl towards each other). I have very little
 >experience to make a reliable comparison, but so far this has been
 >the best film I've developed with Rodinal. Some of you said it was
 >Agfa by another name... Maco makes it.

Gads.  I DO need to get my darkroom back up and=20
running;  it has been six years now and I do miss=20
it.  I CAN process film, though, and I really should get back into this=
 again.

First, savagely curling film can generally be=20
tamed by the use of Hewes (King Concept)=20
reels.  Magnificent and they make a day in the=20
darkroom a delight.  Hewes reels have been known=20
to cure back pains, the heartbreak of psoriasis,=20
and inadequate sexual performance.  Try 'em!

Second, Rodinal is always a stab in the dark with=20
a new film, but, once the registration is made,=20
the developer is absolutely=20
consistent.  Marvelous stuff.  XTOL remains my=20
all-time favorite, but D-76.ID-11 and Rodinal are=20
not far behind.  Rodinal was first marketed in=20
1893 (AGFA lost a great shot at an advertising=20
campaign fifteen yeras ago but, then, D-76 dates=20
from 1926, and I suspect Kodak will blow it as well in another 18 years.)

Go for it!  I love 30m (97 feet) or 100 feet=20
rolls of film.  I have a slew of Leica and Zeiss=20
Ikon cassettes which I regularly use -- the Zeiss=20
Ikon ones are really great, better than the Leitz=20
ones.  (Canon copied the Leitz cassette and kept=20
these in production to about 1980, while Nikon=20
copied the Zeiss Ikon cassette and these remained=20
in their catalogue to at least 1990, and the=20
Soviets made a clone of this as well.)  I also=20
have a bunch of the old Ilford reuseable cassettes.  I love bulk rolling.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!