[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro 100/Agfa 100 - problems

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:00:25 -0500

> Well I wasn't suggesting you go the color route - I was merely
> pointing out that if you're going to go the chromogenic route, you may
> as well save yourself some money and use color neg film. I was
> rebutting Hauke's argument that if you didn't do your own processing,
> then you should abandon traditional silver emulsion - with the
> understanding that the film was destined for the scanner, not the
> enlarger. I was underwhelmed by the chromogenic films myself, and I
> didn't like printing from Kodak's version. My main point was that you
> keep working with your lab, and get your shooting to match their
> processing, or vise versa, and then you won't have to go to the
> trouble of setting up a film processing operation in your home - even
> though I think it's easier than doing laundry. Only trouble is that
> responsibly disposing of the waste chemistry is a bit of a chore, and
> you really have to keep your kids from messing about with the bottles
> of acids and poisons.
>
> If you can't find a workable situation in NYC, there's a couple labs
> in Massachusetts that will do an outstanding job for you:
> One is Bill La Pete's lab in Boston. He knows just about every film/
> developer combination there is, very good at trouble shooting, and
> he's an exceptional printer.
> http://lapetelabs.com/services/

As I understand it the issue with color neg films life span has to do with
the fading of one layer of faster than others  so you get color crossovers
which can make a print impossible to match within the first year of the negs
existence.
But Xp2 has only one layer.
Any Xp2 I've ever used since it was invented in 1991 and I was using it is a
printable as it was the day it was born.
As normal color neg films go its very simple.

That said I've been using iso 1600 color neg films to shoot black and white
now. I've gotten used to having there channels of information to deal with.

Mark William Rabiner