[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro 100/Agfa 100 - problems

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:26:48 +0100

Hi Hauke,

thanks for the links and info.

You're right, of course, if you want something done right....

Just my hope that the pro lab actually did pro work. Not really realistic in these digital times.

The TAS processor is funny!

Rodinal @ 30-60 minutes might in fact work. I figured that if I'm going to take the time to do it myself, I might as well do my own E6 as well (the pro lab's last E6 machine broke down recently, now they send everything out, and the quality has sunk noticably), which is why I was considering a machine that will do both B&W & E6, like the ATL1500 or similar.

10 film tanks sound also like something that would make things easier, I probably should have another look at what's available.

Best regards,
Thor

On 31. okt.. 2009, at 12.35, Hauke Fath wrote:

At 23:07 Uhr +0100 30.10.2009, Thor Legvold wrote:
I can go to the lab and let them do it, but it sucks when they screw
it up and I lose images I can never take again.

In one sentence, you develop b&w film yourself, or you stick with
chromagene (sp?) b&w films like the Ilford XP400, developed in C41 process.
Shipping conventional b&w film for a mediocre "average" development
procedure is just not worth while.

So I could do it
myself, but would need something that is at least semi-automatable.
Standing around turning a tank upside down every minute for 10 minutes
(plus loading, fixing, rinsing, drying) isn't something I really have
time for.

There's processors like the Jobo CPE and its brethren; and if you insist on
the classic turn instead of rotating processing, there's Heiland's TAS
processor
<http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/tas_film_processor.html>. Beware,
though - letting others turn your tank comes at a price tag.  ;)

There's also Rodinal recipes which involve turning the tank for a minute, then letting it sit for 30..60 mins. Wouldn't that be something for you?

My shooting tends to go in waves, it's been about 6 months since last
I had time, and then I shot about 10 rolls in a few short days.

There's tanks that can take 10 films in one go. Saves you a gym contract.

        hauke

{ As an aside, and not directed to the OP:
Can those who insist on discussing cars on a *camera list* please, at
least, adjust the subject so that I can kill the thread? This is a list
with a topic, after all, not your round-the-corner pub.
Thanks for listening, guys. }