[rollei_list] Re: Rollei QBM Sonnars and M42 lenses

  • From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:09:28 +0000 (GMT)

--- Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 7:53 AM, Nick Roberts wrote:
>
> > I have two of the Sonnars in QBM - my first one
> also
> > has a faulty diaphragm mechanism, and it was
> cheaper
> > to get a "new" one on ebay than have it repaired,
> and
> > my amateur attempts failed :( Works fine at full
> > aperture, though.
>
> Identical situation here, except I have have never
> managed to "bag" a
> working example on *Bay. On the rare occasions when
> they do come up
> the idiot sellers tend to price them above list
> price for new Contax/
> Yashica mount Sonnars, and they don't sell.

Odd, very odd - QBM lenses tend to be very cheap over
here, although the vast majority that come up are
Rolleinars or the 50mm f1.8 Planar

> I go on
> using the broken
> Sonnar. As you say, it still works at full aperture,
> and it does stop
> down to about f/5.6; of course, I now have no idea
> what each aperture
> setting really means. It probably stops down in 1/5
> stop increments
> or some such. On my SL35E I just put it on automatic
> metering and
> hope for the best, though I know that makes baby
> Ansel Adams cry.

Ah - mine doesn't stop down at all.

> > It's a lovely lens, particularly paired with the
> SL35
> > - but as I have the 80mm f1.8 Pancolar in M42,
> which
> > is another lovely lens, I wouldn't be that
> concerned
> > about the Sonnar - although T* coating might be
> nice.
>
> I'm not familiar with the Pancolar. Is that a Zeiss
> Jena lens?

Yes - I've a number of the East German Zeiss lenses,
and I like them all (except the 50mm f2.8 Tessar) -
maybe not quite as sharp as the "true" CZ lenses, but
plenty of character - and no slouches, optically.

> > (As an on-topic aside, my other favourite lens for
> the
> > SL35 is the 35mm Angulon.)
>
> I don't have any of the Schneider lenses for SL35.
> They seem even
> less likely to have made the leap across the pond. I
> would be curious
> to know why you prefer it to the 35mm Distagon,
> though.

Simply because I haven't got a 35mm Distagon (in any
mount, for that matter). The Angulon suits the
character of the SL35 very well.

> Although it is broken, the 85mm/2.8 Sonnar is still
> my favourite lens
> for SL35. It's just sharp as heck, even wide open.
>
> Best regards,
> Aaron

Absolutely. A lovely lens in just about every way.

Nick

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com