[rollei_list] Rollei QBM Sonnars and M42 lenses

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:18:24 -0500

On Jan 19, 2006, at 7:53 AM, Nick Roberts wrote:

I have two of the Sonnars in QBM - my first one also
has a faulty diaphragm mechanism, and it was cheaper
to get a "new" one on ebay than have it repaired, and
my amateur attempts failed :( Works fine at full
aperture, though.

Identical situation here, except I have have never managed to "bag" a working example on *Bay. On the rare occasions when they do come up the idiot sellers tend to price them above list price for new Contax/ Yashica mount Sonnars, and they don't sell. I go on using the broken Sonnar. As you say, it still works at full aperture, and it does stop down to about f/5.6; of course, I now have no idea what each aperture setting really means. It probably stops down in 1/5 stop increments or some such. On my SL35E I just put it on automatic metering and hope for the best, though I know that makes baby Ansel Adams cry.

It's a lovely lens, particularly paired with the SL35
- but as I have the 80mm f1.8 Pancolar in M42, which
is another lovely lens, I wouldn't be that concerned
about the Sonnar - although T* coating might be nice.

I'm not familiar with the Pancolar. Is that a Zeiss Jena lens?

(As an on-topic aside, my other favourite lens for the
SL35 is the 35mm Angulon.)

I don't have any of the Schneider lenses for SL35. They seem even less likely to have made the leap across the pond. I would be curious to know why you prefer it to the 35mm Distagon, though.

Although it is broken, the 85mm/2.8 Sonnar is still my favourite lens for SL35. It's just sharp as heck, even wide open.

Best regards,
Aaron