[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Projection attachment

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:37:46 -0300

In 1961 there were no cheap options to project 6x6 slides, MF
projectors were substantially more expensive than 35mm format
projectors and then Rollei had the idea to offer a cheap MF projection
kit for the TLR users via the camera viewing lens as projector lens.
The projector box design produced a "chimney" effect and the 35 watt
lamp helped too, it was not necessary a ventilator, the kit was
silent. As Robert wrote, the kit worked pretty fine however projecting
a small 45cm x45cm image, it was thought for a little circle of
spectators close to the projector, the 0,75 Rolleinar allowed a bigger
image but it also lost quality, this Rolleinar was optional and rarely
sold, it is one of the rarest Rolleinars today (it was porduced for
BI, II and III). There was an option for "super slides" (4x4) holders,
they could be used for 35mm slides too but loading only two each time
like for 6x6 slides.

Problem to sell this kit was that most Rollei TLR amateur users shot
MF slides rarely, they used the TLR for negs/prints and 35mm cameras
or the Rolleikin for 35mm slides and bought projectors for these
slides; the professional Rollei TLR user shooting MF slides used light
boxes and pro MF projectors and then the market for the kit was small.
2000 units were produced from 1961 to 1964. In 1961 a projection kit
costed DM 125 and a Rollei P11 DM 540.

Carlos