[rollei_list] Rollei Planar 1,8/50 and 1,4/50

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:42:37 -0300

I was looking for a normal lens for the SL35M and bought a Planar HFT
1.8/50 made by Rollei under CZ license a few days ago in our local
e*** (about U$S 123, I'm waiting it) . I already had two Rolleinar
lenses, a prime 3,5/200 (Mamiya) and a zoom 80mm-200mm (Tokina), both
Multi-Coated, I find very good these lenses and posted several samples
to Flickr including those ones on mountains taken with a Rolleinar
Mamiya 2/50 already sold several years ago.

It's not so easy (at least to me) to find info about the Planar 1,8/50
QBM mount beyond descriptions and slight comments, Prochnow books have
some data but cameras and accesories are his biggest interest. Anyway
I found an Italian page with data and diagrams about several Planar
designs and lenses including the Planar 2/50mm for the Contarex, the
Rollei Planar 1.8/50 QBM and M42 and the Planar 1,4/50 QBM Rollei-CY
Contax Yashica- ZF-ZK-ZE-ZS mounts.

It's evident the page took info from the patents (they look European
patents, I couldn't find them in Google patents). The Rollei Planar
1.8/50 (labeled Color-Ultron 1.8/50 for Voigtländer) is a CZ Erhard
Glatzel and Erwin Konschak 1970 design. Glatzel worked on eight
different Planar 1.8/50 prototypes to explore every design
possibility, you can see the eight prototypes diagrams in the page
(the production lens is marked), the caption says this number of
prototypes look exaggerated to develop a regular standard lens, but it
was Glatzel working style.

Erhard Glatzel was also the successful Planar 1.4/50 Rollei QBM and
Contax Yashica mount co-designer with Karl Heinrich Behrens in 1972,
CZ web-site has a PDF file with technical data and MTF charts about
this lens, the new Planar 1.4/50 ZF, ZK, ZE and ZS mounts is based on
this lens. In the other hand, the Planar ZM 2/50 is based on the
Planar 2/50 1953 design.
The web page is a large one, most captions are in Italian but you can
enjoy the diagrams and photographs, you need to scroll down the page
to get all the info and images:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Zeiss_Planar_50mm_story/00_pag.htm

Carlos
PS:The Planar 1.8/50 QBM is appreciated as prime lens to use with
Canon DSRL cameras via an adaptor, some of them have problems with the
mirror and can't focus to infinity, it could be done raising the
mirror and using the LiveView mode (I'm not sure about it, I read it).
According some users comments, while the Canon FD 1.8/50 (a Planar
design clearly) has similar performance regarding the Rollei Planar
1.8/50 at the lens center, the Rollei one is better than tha Canon on
the edges.-