[rollei_list] Rollei Pano Head and Rollei Tripod Head differences, sample

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:57:07 -0300

The RPH and the RTH have in common both are rotating plates to take
panoramic stitched shots; the main difference is the amount of frames
overlapping; the RPH requires 10 frames to rotate 360º, the RTH 24
frames; it means the RTH causes a larger percentage of frames
overlapping than the RPH. The RPH overlapping is right to stitch
optical prints according the subject features and the distance to the
camera, in other words, if you have a complex subject with geometrical
forms close to the camera, you’ll find difficult to stitch the frames
perfectly, even respecting the right rotating point for the combo
camera-lens, in the other hand it will work fine for subjects far away
from the camera and/or with simple subjects in the foreground. The RTH
large frames overlapping has the advantage today that if you work with
panoramic software to stitch the frames (always respecting the right
rotating point) the results will be more natural because the software
has more info to stitch the frames, if the overlapping is not enough
and the rotating point is not right, the software tends to create
“invented” shadows and unnatural lines and perspective to stitch the
frames. I was working with PS to stitch the frames taken with the RPH
“manually”, frame per frame as I do and did with optical prints, it
was a hard task because beside the physical frames matching, you also
need to match the frames contrast and tones for B&W and the color for
color shots, they come different from the scanning process. I
discovered “Photomerge” in my PS Elements 2 last year and I’m using it
to stitch panoramic shots now, it works fine with the RTH frames
overlapping percentage.

This is a recent sample taken with the Rolleicord IV Xenar Schneider
3,5/75, T Max 100 developed in T Max RS, five frames (better seen the
largest size, anyway the true original is a lot larger):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/8427889373/in/photostream

A single shot on similar subject:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/8427888437/in/photostream/