[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Mutar vs RolleiWIDE/TELE vs Mamiya

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:34:20 -0500

Hi Andrea,

Recently, you wrote:

> From: andrearicci@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi everyone
> I have a rolleiflex 3,5 and I am interested in completing an outfit
> allowing me to have a completely mechanical outfit to be used in
> locations where top gear does not really work well (eiher because of
> the weather or because locals get nervous when they see "pro like
> equipment" targeting their faces...)
> Old TLRs are notoriously better precisely for these questions?
> Can anyone suggest a rational strategy ?
> Should I go for the mutars, spend the money it's needed and get the
> special rolleis or go for a mamiya C330?

Given your objective, I'd recommend the Mutar approach. I'd also like to
offer a perspective that may differ a bit from the other contributions.
Like Jerry L., I have a 6x6 SLR system with wide and telephoto lenses
(although it's a Rollei 6008i). And, like you, I have a Rollei 3.5. The
6008i is flexible, but it is an attention getter, and it's not very
practical to carry all of that gear around for street shooting. The 3.5 is
unobtrusive and light weight, and IMO makes a better choice for candid
photos. The difference is that I would not carry around the extra lenses,
and would instead set up the camera ahead of time for the location and
type of shooting that I would be doing. In all likelihood, I would stay
with the basic camera and normal lens, as much of the time the scene can
be adjusted with my feet instead of by changing lenses. Keep it simple!

Regards,

Neil