[rollei_list] Re: Rollei B&W filters blog

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:18:02 -0300

Most regular good lenses are color corrected to bring some main light
wavelengths -two or three- to a common focus, the wavelengths out of
this correction don't coincide, they are the secondary spectra that
causes minor color faults which are negligible in normal photography
(color or B&W). Infra-red and UV rays are well beyond the regular lens
color correction and then it's necessary to bring the IR rays to focus
with this lenses for dedicated IR photography, it's the reason for the
special mark in the lens barrel focusing ring for IR photography.
Rollei TLR cameras infra-red filters made from 1951 have a special
treatment including a dedicated filter glass polishing that bring IR
rays to focus and then you can focus with the viewfinder as always.
There are some very expensive lenses with color correction even for IR
and UV rays, they needn't focus compensation for IR photography, a
sample is the CZ Sonnar Superachromat 250mm/f5.6 for the Rolleiflex
SL66, it is used for scientific work mainly.-

Carlos