[rollei_list] Re: Rollei B&W filters blog

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 11:08:58 -0300

The Rollei Infrarot filter with optical compensation was only made for
the TLR from 1951 to 1981 (BI; from 1952 for BIII and from 1956 for
BII ). A IR filter with optical compensation does not make sense for a
SLR since, as you wrote, it's impossible to focus and to compose with
an IR filter, they are called "black" filters. Rollei TLR cameras
lenses never had HFT or multi-coating during the F&H and Rollei
Werke/F&H era regular production, the number and size of the lenses
elements did not justify this expensive process (at the beginning
specially); when the Rollei IR filter with optical compensation was
designed, Rollei TLR lenses already had the single layer coating.
I really think HFT lens multicoating can not affect the Rollei IR
optical compensation since regular MC processes are made to cancel
reflections from the main visible spectrum rays (400-700nm being about
550nm the main wavelenght chosen for single and multi layer lens
coating), at least they are not made for the infrared,  beyond regular
wavelengths; if a lens has a coating and optical correction for IR
rays made from special material, it wouldn't be an issue for the
filter since they are in the same wavelength, but it would be
redundant. The way to know for sure if the HFT multicoating could
affect the Rollei TLR IR filter with optical compensation performance
would be to use it in a 2.8F Platin or newer TLR models with HFT MC, I
never read about a problem with the Rollei TLR IR filter and lens
multicoating and I'm pretty sure it couldn't happen.

The SL 66 camera has means to compensate the IR photography focus
shift in the focusing knob, it requires to focus wothout the IR filter
of course. The more significant lenses manufacturers produced and
produce expensive lenses for SLR cameras with optical correction for
five or six light wavelengths including IR, f.e. the  Carl Zeiss
Sonnar 5.6/250 Superachromat for Rollei SL 66 and Hasselblad, I recall
a Nikon lens too, these lenses can be focus for IR directly without
focus shift compensation.-

Carlos