[rollei_list] Rollei A110/E110 & Rollei 16 - was Argomania

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:09:03 +0000

I still have a Rollei A110 & E110 sitting on a shelf. The images were not as
sharp as I had expected from a Rollei - fine from a Kodak Instamatic 110
though - and found that the film was not held against the film gate by the
cartridge - no fault of the camera but the cartridge system. I cut down a
piece of clear acetate and lifting the paper leader a little, fitted it
between the cartridge and the backing paper, this then pressed the emulsion
against the film gate. The acetate was  removed before sending the cartridge
for processing and inserted into the next cartridge. Images were very sharp
from then on.

I also have a Rollei 16 and having bought a 100m roll of single perf. 16mm
Tri-X, I 'rolled my own'. The resulting images were bitingly sharp although
suffering from grain when enlarged to full plate. I also reversal processed
the Tri-X which produced very contrasty transparencies. Home loading such a
small size film gave rise to scratches on the emulsion whilst trying to keep
the film tight on the spool. I did buy rolls of colour transparency and
negative film too but never tried them because of processing issues.

I see that Rollei 16 B&W film is being sold on Ebay by 'subtimes' - Item No.
200416825357 (and other types of 16mm cartridges too)

John