[rollei_list] Rollei 6x6 images "reproduced with a Sony A7RII from a light panel"

  • From: Emmanuel BIGLER <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 13:45:44 +0200

From Sven:

Alright, there you go…
...... () ........
Pictures were taken with the 3,5F on Fuji Acros 100 and reproduced with a Sony A7RII from a light panel, post-processed in Capture One.
Regards,  Sven

Sven, many thanks indeed for sharing those nice images with the group.

I do not want to comment on the historical aspects of the placse you visited, I just want to emphasise that last generation of full-frame (in France, we say: 24x36) digital cameras now offer a very attractive solution to digitize 6x6 negs or slides.

I have often spoken with young people, enthusiastic about 120 rollfilm cameras, including Rolleis of course.
The main problem does not come from the camera itself; the price for consumables might be a problem, but the real problem come when young people want to share their film images as everybody is supposed to do nowadays: digitally through the Internet.
Usually I do not want to elaborate with young film enthiusasts on the reasons why amateur-grade flatbed scanners are not able to extract everything contained in a good 6x6 image taken with a Rollei TLR, when the camera is in good working condition. Actually, only a professional film scanner like a drum scanner or a professional flatbed can extract all the fine details -about 70 cy/mm for a tessar-xenar 3,5-75, up to 100 cy/mm for a planar-xenotar 75 or 80)

But now enter into the scene half-format (18x24 mm) and full-formùat (24x36 mm) digital cameras.
Sure the image you can extract from a 6x6 Rollei TLR image with a half-frame amateur-grade digital camera will definitely never match what a drum canner is supposed to deliver, but as a paradox, since you no longer need a film scanner to get a decent to excellent (lioke Sven's 42 Mpix files) scan from your 120-film negatives with a digital camera, there is no longer any problem to make 120-film images and share them with friends.

This is a big incentive to use 120-film cameras all kinds as of 2017, including ...

Rollei zweiäuge Reflexkameras, natürlich! (as they say in Bozen, Italy)

--
E.B.

---
Rollei List

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Online, searchable archives are available at