[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S and the Sonnar 2.8/40

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:35:07 -0200

2013/11/20 Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxx>

> For the uninitiated (i.e. I only have a TLR and MF SLR Rollei system),
> what are the differences between the 35, 35S and 35SE?
>
> Which is the “one to have" as a user?

1) Rollei 35 was the original name for the smallest full frame 35mm camera
introduced by Rollei in the 1966 Photokina with the Rollei SL 66 too. It
has a Carl Zeiss Tessar 3,5/40 sigle layer coated lens, it was also
manufactured by Rollei under CZ license, Tessars made by Rollei don't have
serial ,numbers; the Tessar received an UV rays depletion layer in 1968 to
improve color reproduction The camera also has a coupled lightmeter with
needle and follower pointer and Cds sensor using a PX13 1,35v mercury
battery. Focusing is via a distance scale in the lens barrel, the 40mm lens
DOF is significant to get sharp images in difficult situations.

2) Rollei introduced the Rollei 35 with Sonnar 2.8/40 multicoated HFT lens
in 1974. A few Sonnar lenses samples were made by Carl Zeiss, the lens
designer; Rollei manufactured these lenses in the Rollei Optical GmbH
Singapore. The camera was identical mechanically regarding the Rollei 35
Tessar, however the lens focusing mechanism is different, the Sonnar lens
rotates as a whole to focus, keeping the optical quality at any distance,
the Tessar only rotates the first element for focusing, it could affect the
optical quality for some distances (at least in theory). The new model
required to call "Rollei 35 T" the original model with Tessar lens and
"Rollei 35 S" the version with Sonnar lens.-.

4)Rollei developed a Rollei 35 with a LED lightmeter in 1979 according the
features I explained in my previous post. They were called TE and SE
respectively. This version also changed the lens barrel release button from
the camera top to a position close to the lens, following the original
Heinz Waaske design.

I can get very sharp images with the Rollei 35 Tessar, I think the Sonnar
lens is a bit better for color shots.