[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 3.5F Opton

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:15:12 -0400

At 05:10 PM 10/25/2012, Robert Meier wrote:
>Carlos (and others) --
>
>I have gotten a 3.5F Whiteface that has neither a Planar nor a
>Xenotar, but instead has an Oberkochen OPTON Pl 75mm f3.5 lens.   Have
>you ever heard of that?

Robert, when the East and West Germans were becoming split following World War II, the division of the Zeiss enterprizes was most complex. For reasons far beyond our purview here today, the US Army set up a Zeiss lens factory in a former reserve Luftwaffe landing -gear works, and that was at Oberkochen. The US did not trust that the Soviets would pull their weight in DOWNFALL, the invasion of Japan, and so they were frantic to use their captured Zeiss resources to produce both aerial recon lenses and medical gear. As the Japs acknowledged reality (they never did surrender, mind you), this became superfluous but the Oberkochen site became the current large Zeiss works. So, yes, OPTON is very much part of the Zeiss heritage. What is the serial number on the lens? That counts for a lot.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!