[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 mm SLR Flange focal distance

  • From: Richard Urmonas <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 19:51:06 -0700

Hello Dirk,

The maker of your digital camera will already have positioned the
sensor at the optimum point to match the Canon lens mount.  Thus you do
not have to worry about this dimension, just the additional thickness
to convert from Canon to QBM.

I think the +/- 0.15mm tolerance you specify is not a difficult one to
meet, and you could easily tighen this to +/- 0.1mm, and it would not
be hard to find someone to machine the part to better than this.  It
will of course become more expensive to improve the accuracy.

The effect of such a variation can be estimated by using simple lens
formulae (as if the lens was a single element of the correct FL).
Taking +/- 0.1mm and a 28mm lens as an example.  At one end
(0.1mm more too thick) infinity focus will be sharp for a target at
7.84m and at the other end (0.1mm too thin)you will need to focus at
7.84m for a target at infinity.

If you improve the tolerance to +/- 0.05mm at one end infinity focus
will be sharp for a target at 15.68m, and at the other end you will
focus to 15.68m for an object at infinity.

One idea you could consider is to machine the part to be slightly thick
(+0.1 / -0 mm) and then use very fine sandpaper on a flat surface (like
a thick piece of glass) to trim the thickness to the correct dimension.

Note that the thickness will have the most effect on focus for wide
lenses.

I hope this helps

Richard