[rollei_list] Rollei 35 mm SLR Flange focal distance

  • From: <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 20:59:45 +0000

Hello,

thanks for all of your help.
The reason for my inquiry is the following:

I run a "research programme" to adapt all my Rolleinar and Zeiss lenses from
the SL35 system to my Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c. This is a nice camera designed by
Kodak with a full frame digital chip which was designed and made at Fillfactory
in Belgium. The camera has a Canon mount, however the body was made by Sigma.
So it is an US/Japanese camera with a European sensor. Very exotic.

So I got an QBM to Canon adapter from Ebay.
Available data where: Focal flange distance Canon EF mount: 44.00 mm.
The same for QBM 44.70 mm.
These data have been published for a long time everywhere, including Wikipedia.
I got the China made adapter.
I did not achieve infinity with my lenses. What was the reason?
I measured the thickness of the adapter to 0.67 mm. So everything should be ok.
Nevertheless it did not work. So I was working to find out how to adjust the
camera or the flange focus distance of the camera. My guess was, it was too
large.
Just now I found out, that at the Wikipedia, they corrected the QBM 44.70 to
44.50, stating the 44.70 where wrong.

What do I understand now? If this information is correct, the adapter is TOO
thick. It has to have a thickness of max 0.50 mm to achieve infinity with my
Zeiss lenses.
I believe, the factory in China, which makes the QBM adapters, also did rely on
the wrongly reported 44.70 mm and manufactured the adapters accordingly wrong!

Now I am going to trim the adapter to the difference, hence to say 0.50 mm.
But what is the best thickness, to obtain best infinity adjustment with a
digital sensor?

0,50 mm +0/-0.15 mm?

Emanuel, do you think this a good value I could give to our workshop order?

Or would digital sensors also need a certain "penetration" of the focal plane
into the sensor?

Best regards, and thanks a lot!

Dirk-Roger Schmitt