[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 Classic and Olympus Stylus

  • From: Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:22:37 -0700 (PDT)

I hate to mention this because I have no first hand
experience. But, a great many people swear by the first
Olympus Stylus which had a 35mm f/2.8 lens and autofocus.
And it was (is?) available for about $80 new. Many of the
acounts i have read claimed that it was a wonderful and
cheap take-along and far better than anything else
available. And, at $80 new..........

Regards, Jerry

--- Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has anyone used one of the newer Rollei 35 Classic? I
> really prefer
> the placement of the hot shoe on the top and also like
> the re-
> designed flash that came with the classic kit.  A gray
> ("platinum")
> one just went for about $650 on EBAY with BIN.  Not sure
> if they ever
> come cheaper.
>
> Wished F&H would decide to make a "run of the mill"
> version again in
> the $400-600 range.  I am sure there would be good
> outlets for it,
> like the posh Bauhaus-inspired  "Manufactum" warehouse in
> Germany:
> http://www.manufactum.de/Suchergebnis.2033.0.html
> Manufactum also used to sell a late re-incarnation of the
> spring-
> wound Robot camera (which could be a real contender for
> the Rollei 35.
>
> Jan
>

> On 27 Sep 2007, at 02:31, FreeLists Mailing List Manager
> wrote:
> >> ..., than
> >> a cheap aux rangefinder on the hot shoe (hung upside
> down!) will get
> >> you where you need to be. The focus travel from 3 feet
> to infinity on
> >> the XA is about an inch and the focus patch is about
> as precise...
> >>
> >> I traded my user 35S for a beautiful German many years
> ago, and
> >> speaking as a shooter rather than a collector/fondler,
> I'm sorry I
> >> did. The Sonnar on that camera is really very
> exceptional...
> >> Eric Goldstein

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?