[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 3003

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:09:09 -0400

At 07:01 AM 3/30/2010, John Wild wrote:
>I have 'heard on the grapevine' that after one of the 'financial traumas' of
>Rollei, there were hundreds (thousands?) of 3003 cameras which were still on
>the shelf because they were not selling. To make space and to preserve the
>'name' of Rollei, these were all put in a skip and destroyed rather than
>being 'dumped' on the market at cut price...

With respect, I would like to hear some authority for this beyond Camera Shop BS. I have discussed this camera with dozens of the owners of photo shops at that time, and they could not GET cameras in to sell, as Rollei was selling all they could make for technical use.

The 3003 was introduced long after the Singapore plant had been sold to Varta. There might have been some residual Singapore parts in the mix, but, given the five-year gap, I doubt if those would have been many. The German-built 2000F and 3003 did share some shutter parts with the Singapore-built SL 35 E.

Keep the Heritage Alive!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!