[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 3003

  • From: Dirk-Roger Schmitt <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:08:28 +0200

I never experienced  a problem with film flatness,
but a problem that the rolls at the sites where the film was "kinked" left "imprints" only on high speed films, i.e. simulating some exposure at where the edges of the roll was pressing the film. The rolls later on have been redesigned with smoother edges which solved the problem. Anyway, it took some time to find out, either by me and by Rollei, that it was not a light leak but just mechanical pressure.

Dirk

At 13:09 31.03.2010, you wrote:
The SL 2000 was an unreliable camera. I was going to buy one back in the early '80s but even the dealer I spoke to advised against it. On paper it was an outstanding design for it had interchangeable backs it had very fine CZ lenses. In the end I got a Contax RTS instead.

In addition, reviews in a European magazine, perhaps the AP, mentioned that film flatness was a problem because of a 'kink' introduced in the emulsion
due to the film path through the detachable backs.

Perhaps the mechanical problems were solved by the time that then 3000 series cameras were released, but by then the system was no longer viable due to its reputation for unreliability - this reputation went back to the Singapore made 35's - and high price.

As a 'Classic Camera' for occasional use the 3003 might well be a good buy now on the second-hand market - I've never looked into this- but make sure that spares or donor bodies are available. I do know that late production CZ lenses for the 3000 are significantly more expensive on the used market than the equivalent Contax RTS mount lenses. Thus, putting together a 3003 system complete with CZ 28/2.0, 35/1.4, 85/1.4 and 60 Makro-Planar lenses, extra backs and donor bodies will not be a low budget exercise.