[rollei_list] Re: Rolei 35 T/S vs TE/SE lightemeter

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:38:36 -0300

> as you say, the overall design of the Rollei 35 expects a top-down view -
> just like for the Rollei TLRs.
>
> I wonder whether this was a decision made by Heinz Waaske before he showed
> his prototype to the colleagues at F&H, or whether it was a concession to
> the "Rollei way" (in the mid-60s, the TLRs were still going strong)?

Hauke:

Heinz Waaske designed the camera with the two frontal wheels to set f
stops and shutter speeds from the beginning, "...Positioning the dials
on either side of the lens, Heinz Waaske had somehow simulated the
design of the twin-lens Rollei cameras, and without knowing had
created a "genuine Rollei"..."(Rollei 35, eine Kamera-Geschichte",
page 40, Claus Prochnow). Rollei respected the Waaske's design and a
few changes were introduced by Ernst Moeckl, the cameras designer
consulted by Rollei,  he puts the three main scales (f stops,shutter
speeds and lens focusing distances) on the wheels and lens cylinders
circumferences, this way they could be seen from above for rapid
settings, these scales were engraved on the front of the wheels and on
the front of the lens ring in the original prototype. The selenium
lightmeter (Waaske made the lightmeter coupled with f stops and
shutter speeds from the beginning) was replaced with a Gossen Cds
lightmeter, the Steinheil Casar 3,5/40 triplet was replaced by a Zeiss
Tessar 3.5/40 and the central shutter was a Compur. The tab on the
camera front to pull the lens was eliminated and replaced by a button
on the top cover (Rollei and Waaske disliked the original tab, however
some users confused the shutter release button with the lens release
button sometimes and the button was located in the original position
again for the SE and TE and Rollei 35 Fototechnic cameras, but it was
a button, not a tab). Beyond the lens, lightmeter and shutter
providers, these were minimal changes regarding Waaske original
design.

> As for the TE/SE models, the time demanded LEDs in place of a needle meter,
> and the associated electronics required a bigger battery, which had to be
> exchanged more often than the 1,35 V Hg cell. So you got an ugly black flap
> on the top. Plus, you got to jump back and forth between top view for
> setting the controls, and view through the viewfinder, for reading the
> meter.
>
> Waaske's position apparently was that there should be a re-design of the
> model, instead of shoe-horning features into the existing Rollei 35; but I
> guess in the late 70s Rollei became short of breath, and wanted to go cheap.

In fact there was a complete Rollei 35 re-design in 1979, it was the
"Rollei 35 System" with several automatic functions and a slight
increase in the camera size, prototypes were ready for production in
1981, but Rollei bankruptcy stopped the project.

> On a related note, I bit the bullet recently and sent off my 35S to
> Braunschweig, where Werner Bruer <http://classic-fototechnik.de>, a retired
> Rollei service technician, still works on Rollei (and other) cameras. While
> at it, I asked him to adjust the 35S for an alkaline 625 1.5 V battery, and
> I sent a late, black Rolleiflex 4x4 along whose shutter needed some
> attention.
>
> He confirmed that what the 35S thought was infinity in fact was about 3 m.
> It looks like my complaints about the distance being hard to get right may
> well go back to a painful fall on a ski hill. He adjusted the focus, and
> found no further damage with the camera. Turnaround was quick, and the 40
> EUR I paid were better than a smack in the eye. I'm looking forward to the
> first test film from the 35S.

The focusing scale exactness is a fundamental thing for a camera like
the Rollei 35. It looks like you found the right technician for your
35S and 4x4 in Braunschweig "the cameras' town", as CP liked to write.

Carlos