[rollei_list] Re: Rodinal

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:46:38 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:43 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rodinal

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Marc James Small
<marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have also held to D-76 as my standard developer but like that Citric-Acid based developer Kodak introduced in the later 1990's. THAT is grea stuff.
 Somewhere, I have a DIY formula for it.

Are you thinking of Xtol Marc? I've never mixed it myself. I know there are formulas out there, but the stuff is so cheap and lasts so long (yeah, yeah, someone will say it dies, I say they made a mistake), that I've never been tempted to try and surpass Kodak's
quality controls. :-)

Daniel
---
Ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate perhaps. Its always used with another developing agent sometimes Metol and sometimes Phenidone or one of its relatives like Kodak Dimezone. Xtol is the latter, i.e., Dimezone and Ascorbic acid. The formula is secret but the patents give what is probably pretty close to the packaged formula. See USP 5,756,271 and USP 5,83,964 for more details. Both have several examples of such developers. There are formulas for both powder packages and liquid concentrates. The powder form is probably close, if not identical, to Xtol.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA