[rollei_list] Re: Retina Camera Lenses

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:56:29 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:36 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Retina Camera Lenses

At 03:29 PM 10/25/2009, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     I am puzzled about when Kodak would have had to use
>Ektars in the Retina. Since the camera itself was not
>available during the war the lens source would have made no >difference. There may have been a period right after the war
>when Schneider could not supply lenses but that also does
>not make sense since they were able to supply lenses to F&H >when Zeiss could not. Schneider was in the Western Zone and
>would not have been affected by the convoluted politics
>confronting Zeiss.
> I do remember seeing Ektar lenses for the Retina but am
>at a loss to know when. Its also possible that they were
>Kodak branded Schneider lenses in the same way that many
>Kodak folders have "Kodak-Zeiss" lenses. I don't know if the >latter were made by Zeiss or Kodak under license although I
>suspect the latter.

Richard

I would have to look it up or ask Dr Jentz, but I
believe the Retinas with Ektars were made in the
immediate Prewar period for sale in the US.

Zeiss never licensed Kodak to make any lenses,
and I cannot find any record of a "Kodak-Zeiss"
lens.  B&L acquired the rights to produce Zeiss
designs under the Alien Properties Act of 1917,
and many of the B&L "Anastigmat" lenses produced
by them for Kodak were actually CZJ Tessar designs.

Marc

B&L had a deal with Zeiss to make Zeiss designed lenses in the US well before WW-1 and made a lot of Zeiss type lenses for Kodak. B&L made at least Tessars and various Protars. B&L may have been able to use the Zeiss patents without having to pay a royalty after the war, at any rate, the Zeiss name no longer appears on the lenses as it did prior to about 1917. The Vest Pocket Kodak and Speed Kodak No.1 both were available with "Zeiss-Kodak Anastigmat" lenses. Perhaps made by Zeiss for Kodak.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA