[rollei_list] Re: Retina Camera Lenses

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 02:48:30 -0300

<marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I own some Retinas and like the breed.  The epic shot of Tenzin Norgay on
> the peak of Everest -- "we knocked the bastard off!" -- was shot on a Prewar
> 118 Retina with a 3.5/5cm CZJ Tessar by Hillary, on Kodachrome, of course.
>  That camera is now in a museum in EnZed.

Marc:
         According a close photograph taken at the Museum in Auckland,
New Zeland, Hillary's Retina I type 118  used on the peak of Everest
has the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar number 1274240,  other similar model
shown at the Retina Photo Gallery has the Carl Zeiss Tessar number
1274417, these numbers could be for lenses made about 1931 and the
Retina I type 118 cameras bodies are from about 1935 to 1936. Other
data is that according David L. Jentz from the Historical Society for
Retina Cameras,  only 2% of the 40000+ cameras produced have the combo
Compur Rapid Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 3,5/5cm and other 2% the combo
Compur and the same lens, and then Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lenses are
rare for the Retina really.-