[rollei_list] Re: Replacement Mirror for Original Rollei

  • From: J Patric Dahlén <jenspatricdahlen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 06:50:05 +0000

The mirror in my Rolleiflex 4x4 from 1938 was in bad shape too. It's smaller and thinner than the mirrors for 6x6, so I had it resilvered instead of getting a new one.

I have film in my Original Rolleiflex since three years. The shutter works, except the longer speeds.

/Patric

From: Thomas A.Frank <taf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello All;

I'm working on getting my original Rollei (made in April 1930) into useable condition. One of the things it needed was a new mirror, as the silvering had all tarnished and fallen off, rendering the viewfinder inoperative.

I happened across eBay seller "anuuj", who was selling replacement mirrors for the later models. He was kind enough to send me the dimensions, and they were close enough to make it worth the $21 to get one and try it (the original mirror is a bit thinner at 1.07 mm vs his 1.66 mm, and the replacement is a bit larger in the other dimensions as well by a couple of mm). I didn't realize it, but he's in India (I'm in the US). The box arrived in 2 days! The mirror was exceptionally well packed.

It did have a really nasty fingerprint on it, but that came off with a little bit of lens cleaner. And it was close enough in size to fit just fine. So now I can actually see through the viewfinder. It's not a bright screen, but it's certainly useable.

All I need now is to find someone to CLA the shutter and I'll be back in business.

Tom Frank