[rollei_list] Re: Rangefinder article

  • From: Jeff Kelley <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:22:55 -0700

Anything of real value should be copied to several media and stored in separate
locations.

I worked on CD ROM hardware and software during the early years of the
technology at a big company that starts with "S" and end with "y."  Blank CDs
were $30.  Writers were $10,000 or more.

I've had gold discs burned at 1x, stored under perfect conditions become
unreadable in less than five years.  DO NOT trust this stuff, any of it, for
archival storage of irreplaceable data!

Jeff> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:52:50 -0700> From: peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> To:
rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rangefinder article> >
Yes Richard, documents that are not easily found or rare should be> kept on
something more archival like a DVD+R. They will outlast CDs.> Also burn them at
a slower rate to ensure best burn and longer> readability. A slower burn ensure
more accurate shaped pits/markings> resulting in a potentially longer
archival/readability.> > Peter K> > On 6/15/07, Richard Knoppow
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> >> > ----- Original Message -----> > From:
"Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>> > To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > Sent:
Friday, June 15, 2007 2:41 PM> > Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rangefinder
article> >> >> > Hi Richard,> >> > Thank you. The RW disks actually require the
laser to> > erase/blank them> > before they are written. They usually use a
material> > different than> > dye so that they can control the phase change.
The material> > is> > basically one where a higher power laser and subsequent>
> cooling> > changes the state of the material used. To erase the> > pits/disk
in a> > disk, or blank it, there is a process known as annealing> >
accomplished> > by heating the material to a lower temperature.> >> > Problem
with RW is that although the claim is that they will> > last a> > long time,
they do not meet the higher standards of write> > once> > CD/DVDs. While you
might use them for storing images for a> > few months,> > DVD-R/+Rs are less
expensive and offer more stable long-term> > storage,> > it only makes sense to
stick with those if you are> > archiving.> >> > UC Berkeley has a good article
(from 2001) posted that> > offers a better> > detailed explanation of the RW
process at:> >
http://www.mse.berkeley.edu/classes/matsci102/F01reports/dvdrw.pdf> >> > Peter
storing documents. I expect reasonable life,> > several years minimum, but not
archival life. It sounds like> > I should copy the more important stuff to
write-once discs.> > FWIW, there appears to be an astonishing amount of> >
technical publications of historican importance on the web.> > For instance, I
recently downloaded two RCA internal> > publications with all their proprietary
knowledge about> > designing and making vacuum tubes. This is simply not> >
available elsewhere.> >> > ---> > Richard Knoppow> > Los Angeles, CA, USA> >
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >> > ---> > Rollei List> >> > - Post to
rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >> > - Subscribe at
rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'> > in the subject field OR
by logging into www.freelists.org> >> > - Online, searchable archives are
available at> > //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list> >> >> > > -- >
Peter K> Ó¿Õ¬> ---> Rollei List> > - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > -
Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' > in the
by logging into www.freelists.org> > - Online, searchable archives are
available at> //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list>
Live Earth is coming.  Learn more about the hottest summer event - only on MSN.
http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthwlm