[rollei_list] Re: Rangefinder article

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:41:47 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 2:41 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rangefinder article

Hi Richard,

Thank you. The RW disks actually require the laser to erase/blank them before they are written. They usually use a material different than dye so that they can control the phase change. The material is basically one where a higher power laser and subsequent cooling changes the state of the material used. To erase the pits/disk in a disk, or blank it, there is a process known as annealing accomplished
by heating the material to a lower temperature.

Problem with RW is that although the claim is that they will last a long time, they do not meet the higher standards of write once CD/DVDs. While you might use them for storing images for a few months, DVD-R/+Rs are less expensive and offer more stable long-term storage, it only makes sense to stick with those if you are archiving.

UC Berkeley has a good article (from 2001) posted that offers a better
detailed explanation of the RW process at:
http://www.mse.berkeley.edu/classes/matsci102/F01reports/dvdrw.pdf

Peter K

Thanks Peter, I will check out the reference. I use discs mainly for storing documents. I expect reasonable life, several years minimum, but not archival life. It sounds like I should copy the more important stuff to write-once discs. FWIW, there appears to be an astonishing amount of technical publications of historican importance on the web. For instance, I recently downloaded two RCA internal publications with all their proprietary knowledge about designing and making vacuum tubes. This is simply not available elsewhere.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx