[rollei_list] Re: RPA, Efke 25, fixer with hardener?

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:37:38 -0400

I imagine you could rig a sheet film holder to take a glass plate - just dremel out the additional depth and don't use the other side.

Rob
On Apr 2, 2009, at 6:44 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Yes but can you shoot 4x5 glass plates with it?!!?!?

I'm a Cambo Calumet NX fan myself; as that's the camera I just happen to
have.
Don't know what the situation is at this point in time on 4x5 inch glass plates if they still exist and an adaptor to be able to shoot them with
typical cameras.
Is their a glass plate club like there are one for stereo photo?

How about a stereo glass plate club?

Inquiring Rabiners want to know.

Who would be into this stuff people involved with Astro photography?
It think it might be those guys.

Mark William Rabiner

From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 07:40:54 -0400
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: RPA, Efke 25, fixer with hardener?

Elias,

Check out eBay 300303409180 - this is a great 4x5 starter kit if you
can get if for under $300.  Its got both bellows and a 120 film back.
Figure a lens/shutter would go for another $200 used.   I have three
basic working cameras now - my Rolleiflex 3.5F, a Voightlander
Bergheil 9x12 cm (which is like a pocket 4x5) and the Toyo 45A 4x5
field camera. I shoot 6x9 cm as well with the Bergheil and Toyo using
120 film backs.   The 6x9 cm format is great for color - easy to send
out for processing.  So I end up shooting B&W sheet film and 120 roll
color film. The Toyo requires a more robust tripod then the two other
cameras and often that is the deciding factor as to which camera I
take.  I also find that front and back standard movements - swings,
tilts, etc are talked about more then they are used.  In any event, a
sheet film camera slows one down and with my type A personality this
is a good thing.   My 35mm world is becoming digital very fast.

Rob

 Apr 1, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Elias Roustom wrote:

Tell me about it... the day will come, but the little Rollei will
help me pretend until that happy (and more expensive) day finally
does come.

After watching Petr set up his 8x10 and make a few shots, I was
ready to sell all my 35mm gear and start a little savings account.
But I can't part with working cameras - so I'll have to find another
way.

E.

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Robert Lilley wrote:

Ah,  Carlos and Elias - two possible large format converts!

Rob
On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Elias Roustom wrote:

I also would like to experiment loading film sheets to the camera
and developing them, these are new things to me.

You will have a very good time with the plate adapter Carlos - I
can almost guarantee it. I like using it for landscape, still
life, and portraits.
With portraits, it is part of the act that captures the subject's
attention. What I like most about it is that I don't always have
the need to shoot all twelve frames from a given film. Having the
plate adapter allows me to experiment with a subject, use
different films for the same subject, or develop duplicate
exposures differently, and have a print or scan within two or
three hours. I'm actually proud of how slow that sounds these days.

If you're missing any of the plate inserts you can use a stiff
cardboard, or have some aluminum sheets cut down for you
somewhere. I remember finding some anodized black aluminum sheets
that were just about the right thickness at a hardware store once.
I use a double thick black cardboard I had scraps of at work -
they work very well.

I bought a box of 4x5 ilford film that I cut to size. Scratched
some of it up in the cutting process, but I know what I'll do next
time. Bought the Efke for convenience, and I can't say the Efke 25
is any sharper the Delta Pro 100. Maybe it's in the way I've been
developing.

My only problem with the plate adapter is keeping dust and other
particles off the neg. Gets me every time. I've got to find a
better routine, and buy a better dust brush.

Here's a couple of shots of the Efke 25 sheet film in Rodinal 1+50
(one of your favorites):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/2444628920/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/2444878043/in/photostream/

I have some new shots with Efke 100 that I processed in DD-X that
I took a couple weekends ago with Petr Dvorak (from this list)
that I have yet to scan. I'm without a scanner for the time being...

Elias

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org