[rollei_list] Print sizes [WAS Re: The Photographic Reality]

  • From: Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:12:10 -0500

On Feb 23, 2010, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> 5x7 I'm very fond of.
> My portfolio is 5x7 I carry with me where ever I go every day in my side bag
> with my camera and paperback book and subway maps of manhasten.
> I'd love it if some of these images were contact prints.
> A 4x5 contact print is a bit precious.
> Fits into the category of "miniatures"
> But a 5x7 is nice easy on the eyes size.

Mark, I too shoot a lot of 5x7 and I agree that it is
a nice size, but I would disagree about a 4x5 contact
print being "precious."  We photographers are too
often too enamored of large prints.  I've gone in the
opposite direction, and am enlarging my Rolleiflex
squares to 4x4s, give or take a half-inch, and I love
the results.  And so do the people with whom I've
shared them.  They sit comfortably atop desks and
bureaus, and fit snugly in envelopes (that Elias printed
for me), and rest easily in the palm of one's hand, and
suggest an intimacy that people seem to like, myself
included.  AND they make the darkroom work simpler
since I can process in 5x7 trays -- an added bonus
since my darkroom resides in my bedroom closet.
Since we are neighbors, you should stop by and
see for yourself sometime.

Sanders---