[rollei_list] Re: Press Cards (slightly Rollei related)

  • From: "WILLIAM SCHILLEREFF" <frwilliam@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:08:47 -0700

I remember back in the 1960's possessing a press card from the infamous "Burkley Barb." It was issued by the paper and the police decided not to recognize the press card of the free press paper. The issue was settled in court with a decision indicating the police dept could not decide who was a member of the press and their card was for id only. the PD could not abridge the rights of any reporter to work and it has gone down hill after that. For a time we were ridding high. With my Rollie no one ever looked further than the camera and made room for me. Later some small newspapers gave me card and others issued through the local PD. More important is having the pin to file pictures or stories.

There are some rally funny stories about crime scene and getting the shot. I like BW for this work but the switch to hi res color in the paper and the advent of developing machines at the paper and AP ran bw out of the news media. TXP 400 ... what a film!