[rollei_list] Re: Press Cameras

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:39:52 -0700

Don,

Though I did have a 4x5 Speed Graphic at the time, it was my use of two Rolleiflexes at a time that made it possible for me to take and sell pictures of weddings, proms , babies etc that enabled me to earn an engineering degree and two advanced degrees from 1947 t0 1953.

I don't think that I made a dime with the Graphic, only awards, but the Rolleiflexes paid for six years of my college education, There was
no such things as student loans back then.

In fact, in 1953, I had enough money left over to buy a MG-TD Mk2. I owe a debt to Rolleiflex-- my career.!

Jerry Lehrer

On 3/24/2012 12:18 PM, Don Williams wrote:
Just a random comment-

Today I just happened to watch, on TV, the show about the "21" quiz show where Charles vanDoren and others were found to have been given answers to the questions. Maybe half of you will remember it.

As I watched the movie, I noticed there were many press cameras and some pretty cheap cameras in the courtroom scenes.

From a very young age I wanted a press camera, maybe a Speed Graphic, or something similar. I now realize that having a press camera would have been a real bother and I would have had no need for one.

Are there others who had the same thoughts as a young amateur photographer?

DAW