[rollei_list] Re: Polarizing Filters

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:47:40 -0500

At 05:26 PM 8/11/2011, you wrote:
I'm ready to pop for a polarizing filter and I'm wondering which is better for the Rollei TLR: linear or circular? Or are their effects simply different so you might want both?

Thanks,
Bob

I have used linear polarizing filters for years and they are excellent for reducing reflected light which tends to be linearly polarized. It's a necessary tool for outdoor use and for dealing with shiny objects indoors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)

A while back I bought a circular polarizing filter and didn't find it to be very useful, but I just thought I should have one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer#Absorbing_and_passing_circularly_polarized_light

I believe auto-focus TTL cameras need a circular polarizing filter.

http://www.offrench.net/photos/articles/polarizing_filter.php

If I were to chose a polarizing filter for a Rollei it would be linear. They work like magic.