[rollei_list] Re: Plus X with Perceptol

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:33:46 -0500

Thanks again, Carlos, I'll try it both ways. I'll just take 10% time off of both times to compensate for the Jobo.

Vielen, vielen Dank--Doug

On Feb 20, 2010, at 2:16 PM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

Doug:
          I wrote you'll need to do some tests and I only suggested as
a try Perceptol full strength 10' for EI 125, you interpreted my
suggestion right, however I think Allen is right too, I did not think
about the film speed  restrainer dilution issue and then I suggest now
two ways to start:

1) Exposing the Film at ISO 64 and developing it with Perceptol full
strength at 68/20ºC for 8' , you'll gain fine grain (Ilford
instructions).

2) Exposing the film for its ISO 125 nominal speed and developing it
with Perceptol 1:3 during 18' ( Digitaltruth suggestion for Plux X
35mm, but it must work for 120), you'll lose a bit of fine grain but
you'll win sharpness.

As I explained, these are developing times for the Plus X pre-2007,
but Kodak says the devoloping times variations are very slight for the
later version and Digitaltruth says old times are good starting
points.

Carlos
PS: Anyway I have no doubt you could obtain usable negs with my
original try suggestion.

2010/2/20 Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Thank you, Carlos.

Let me run this by you to see if I understood you correctly.

If I shoot the Kodak 125 PX at 125, I can develop it at 68/20 degrees for 10
minuites with the Perceptol at full strength. Right?

That at least is a starting point in this.

How long will the Perceptol keep?

The TM Rs I use has a long shefl life after I open it.

Best regards and saludos--Doug

I develop it in a Jobo which means about 10 percent less or 9 minutes.
On Feb 20, 2010, at 1:06 PM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

Ilford instructions for Perceptol and Plus X 125 are given for an
Exposure Index of ISO 64 ASA/19º DIN, it means you need to adjust your
lightmeter at ISO 64/19 of course. At this EI and 68/20ºC and
Perceptol stock solution (full strength) developing time is 8',
diluted 1:1 (or 1+1) is 8'30" and diluted 1:3(1+3) developing time is
12'.
Microdol X and PX 125 developing time at EI ISO 125 and 20ºC is 8' and
this is the EI and they are time and temperature I have used (this is
the new Kodak developing chart from 2007), however it's necessary to
note that Ilford Perceptol developing time could be (I'd say  it is)
for the previous Plus X 125 version (pre-2007) and according Kodak,
developing times could be slightly different from 2007 versions (films
are the same, but the manufacture process changed and then the
variations).
I'm afraid you'll need to do som tests for Perceptol and PX 125,
anyway according Digitaltruth the Ilford developing times for the
pre-2007 Plus X versions are a good starting point. This site gives
this combo for Plus X at EI 125 : Perceptol 1:3 at 68/20º, 18'.
If you wish EI 125, I'd do a try using 10' Perceptol full strength.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the
subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org