[rollei_list] Re: Plus X -PX 125- and Microdol X discontinued

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:26:37 -0500

Carlos,

An advantage of Microdol X is its slower development times. If your thermometer or timing is a bit off, the percentage of error is significantly less at, say, 12 minutes in the soup, than five minutes which, if memory serves, is the T-T recommendation for HC110. Frankly, I think there are better choices than HC110, anyway. IMHO, D76 still sets the standard. T-Max at 1:7 dilution has also worked well for me. Although Xtol does a great job on most films, I hesitate to recommend it because of its instability. It can suddenly lose strength in storage with no warning, such as change of color. This was a topic of internet discussion within a short time after Xtol's introduction. I went ahead with it anyway, and after 2 1/2 years of excellent results, Xtol Sudden Death Syndrome happened to a batch, fortunately on non-critical rolls of film. Only 2 days earlier, it had worked perfectly. As a result, I returned to D76, which since I started processing film in 1954 has never failed through any problems in use or storage other than my own occasional boneheads. However, it has now been seven years since I last used Xtol, so the issue might have been resolved. D23/D23 modified are good options, simple and cheap to mix if you can get the chemicals.

Allen Zak

On Feb 12, 2010, at 12:51 PM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

No, I never used HC-110 yet, however I still have some Microdol X
packs, I found them cheap very much, perhaps due to total clearance,
but I'll read on the HC-110 for the future.

Carlos

2010/2/12 J M N <retinaiiic@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Have you tried HC 110 solution B (1:31)?

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:19:01 +0100
Subject: [rollei_list] Plus X -PX 125- and Microdol X discontinued
From: cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wrote one week ago: "... from my last Plus X 125 (PX 125) roll, I
don't know if
I'll shoot this film again 'cause after decades of regular provision
it looks like the local Kodak is not longer importing the PX for the
120 format..."
Now I verified that last months of 2009 Kodak has discontinued the
Plus X 125 film production as I was suspecting, but it was a surprise
to me Kodak also discontinued the Microdol X developer production.
Kodak is eliminating older films and older developers and keeping
newer films and developers production. According several comments,
Ilford Perceptol would be the right replacement for the Microdol X.

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
now.