[rollei_list] Re: Plus X -PX 125- and Microdol X discontinued

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:14:13 -0500

> Marvin -
>
> There is absolutely no question that development makes an enormous
> difference in the final print. AA wrote an entire book on the subject.
> As improper souping can lead you anywhere from total latency to total
> opacity, I would venture to say that this is a settled point.
>
> What I and others are asserting is that the difference between the
> results produced by the developers mentioned are small, certainly in
> the context of other factors.
>

> Regards,
>
> Eric Goldstein

I would disagree.
And I don't have "Golden eyes" but up to this digital period I have printed
in my darkroom every week (usually Thursday nights) for decades and my
default has been 11x14's. Fridays were "print pick up day." for my clients.
With proper development in well chosen developer and the right dilution,
Pyro, Xtol, Beutlers, or perhaps non solvent developer but acutance
developer can make a non favored film make far superior prints than a more
favored film developed in a not so carful , average or shoddy manner. Like
solvent developers straight or not diluted enough; especially in slow film.
Where it gets melted right now to mush.

These lists are comprised of people who tend to  be much more comfortable
with the gear than the practice of photography. And in some cases it seems
they even seems they find the practice of photography threatening.
I think if we had an interest in collecting unicorns we'd not find the glass
blowers threatening and their craft. But then unicorn collectors don't find
it necessary to call themselves craftsman. Photography is different. It
seems impossible for people to enjoy camera collecting and buying and
selling without having very strong attitudes about the practice of
photography. A subject which they really when it comes done to it have
almost no interest in.
I've always found knowledge and practice much more satisfying than
"attitude" and the false front I find so often with  people on the camera
lists. I do remember the days when didn't have a clue what I was doing. And
"sometimes the magic happened" I say forget the  "magic" and  know what
you're doing.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner