[rollei_list] Re: Planar for Leica M

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:54:14 -0400

At 09:32 PM 9/27/2006, Jeffery Smith wrote:

That's the lens that was produced when Rollei released their disappointing
35RF a few years ago. I have the 40mm Sonnar, which is a very fine lens. I
believe that the lenses were produced by Cosina in Japan (which is who
produced the Rollei 35RF).

Jeffery

For once, I have to admit that I just do not know. I do know that the Japanese are REALLY fired up with concerns that the "Carl Zeiss" name on a lens has to mean more than just a brand name. This clocked the original deal to replace Zeiss Ikon with a Japanese-produced SLR camera body: The Zeiss Foundation worked with Asahi from 1966 to 1971 to do this but Asahi kept insisting that ALL "Zeiss" lenses had to be manufactured in Germany to ensure product acceptance in the Home Islands, and Zeiss was then frantic to get out of photographic lens production, so the deal foundered -- they both got the rights to the multi-coating technology they had mutually produced, and Asahi was given the intended lens-mount as a sort of booby prize: this became the K Mount, so that Asahi made its fame on two Carl Zeiss designed mounts, M42 and the K mount.

Zeiss then turned to Yashica but the deal was started with a Zeiss insistence that most lens production be done in Japan. Yashica bought an old Tominon plant and that became the dedicated Zeiss plant in Japan -- final inspection is conducted in a sealed part of the plant which is supposedly known to the workers there as "the round-eye room" as the inspectors were Germans for many years, though a couple of Chinese and at least on Japanese worked there in its last years.

Given this, I would not be surprised to learn that Cosina is making these lenses, but I would expect German inspectors and the like, as was the case with the Contax RTS lenses.

And note that despite their best interests, Zeiss STILL ended up making the specialty lenses in Oberkochen and Geissen. Zeiss in 1970 was making a LOT of money from military and industrial contracts -- they made as much profit off of one submarine periscope as they did from a hundred Ha$$elblad lenses, for instance -- and so they wanted to go to the money well. This changed quite a bit with the death of the Cold War: nota bene that Zeiss is now willing to once again do one-off's and low-production runs of photographic lenses. And digital gave them a boost: Zeiss has produced more lenses for digital cameras, I understand, than ALL photographic lenses at Jena, Saalfeld, Eisfeld, Munich, Geissen, and Oberkochen. Sony has made Zeiss quite a bit of money.

Marc

Marc James Small
Quo Usque Tandem Abutere, Catalina, Patientia Nostra?
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

--- Rollei List