[rollei_list] Re: Planar 2.8 coverage

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:19:01 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 6:31 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Planar 2.8 coverage

Why are my Rolleiflex shots darker in the middle of the frame, and lighter on the sides? I've only noticed on this last roll, and only on shots that have a lot of sky in them. Is it possible the lens sends more light to the outside of the frame, could the square lens hood be causing it - in most of the shots the light sun is to my right? Or is it fogging in the process of loading the film onto the reel for processing (I'm pretty sure my room is light tight).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99071700@N00/

Thanks,

Elias
---

This is pretty common when using tanks. There is more agitation at the edges than the center. It seems to happen with both inversion agitation and swirling agitation tanks. The edges get developed more. One can investigate this by sacrificing a roll of film. the entire roll should be given a uniform light fogging outside of a camera and then processed. If the image is darker at the sides it is pretty good proof that its an agitation problem. You can also try developing a roll the old fashioned way by see-sawing it in a tray. This is uniform as far as edge to edge development and should show whether the problem is the camera or the development. I use stainless steel tanks of the Nikor type and generally use Kodak agitation, that is, five to six inversions in five seconds repeated every 30 seconds. I have also used the Ilford method of agitating for 10 seconds once every minute. Both work and I have not experienced much uneveness but there is always a little. I generally adjust developer dilution to get development times of around 8 to 12 minutes.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx