[rollei_list] Re: Pistol Grip...my video clip

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 19:16:09 -0500

That's great Carlos - your video quality is much better than mine - I had the same trouble with the film advance with my empty camera on my video. If you look closely you can see that I turned one too many times.

Do you really leave the advance lever out when shooting? I've found that it causes the shutter release button to stick unless I have it back in the closed position. I must be doing something wrong.

As far as keeping the subject in view, I can actually do it more comfortably with the rig held by the large flash in my left hand. It is a heavy rig though... but the other night I got a really good shot (from 7 frames - the others were still focus and well lit, only the subject was not good) of my brother washing his 1 year old, who would not sit still for a second. With practice, the Rolleiflex with Rolleimeter on the pistol grip with a "Hammer" style flash is a very fast shooter - almost as fast as an SLR, in low light maybe a little faster. But what do I really know, I'm just an amateur with a really cool toy. Enjoying it just the same. Gives me healthy sense of respect for the professionals of yesteryear.

Elias

On Dec 25, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Elias:
I think your method is good and safe if you don't need to maintain the subject framed for other photograph, I did a video clip lower resolution than yours about the way I use the Rollei grip, however I'd like to do the following clarifications:

1)The firsts seconds are supposed to focus the subject turning the focusing knob with the left hand. I forgot to do it. 2)I lose film advance crank "feeling" without film, the crank advance becomes light too much and I lost time paying attention to the crank, I do things more quick with film ( I don't fold -unfold the crank).
3)I knew I was doing a videoclip and became "nervous".

http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=-8568288160046005401&hl=es

Carlos

--- El dom 21-dic-08, Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Yes, Carlos and Richard it works beautifully. I got the hang
of it right away - quite natural. A little awkward with wool
gloves on while romping through foot deep snow with my dog.

My daughter and I made this very low res video file to show
how the advance is done with the right hand while using the
big Sunpak flash:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1722756263726713433&hl=en

What can I say, school's out for the holidays and
I've got to keep her busy.

You can also see the rig (or kit) with the Sunpak here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/3126687912/

Elias

On Dec 21, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Richard Sintchak wrote:

Sory, "advice" should be
"advance"....

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Richard Sintchak
<rich815@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
While it may sound awkward try using the left hand
to advice, just
tilt the whole rig over slightly reach the left
hand over and crank,
never taking the right hand off the grip.  I
believe that how it was
designed to work.  It's very capable and
ergonomic that way. Try it.

--
Richard S.
San Francisco

My Photography Website
http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

My Flickr River

http://flickriver.com/photos/rich8155/popular-interesting/

My Commute Photo Blog
http://shootingonthefly.blogspot.com/

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Elias Roustom
<eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks to all who chimed in on my inquiry into
the pistol grip. I've got a
pretty good kit put together now.
You can see it with a Canon speedlight 199A to
the grip
here:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3124302150_48b558c797.jpg.
I've run roll through with an even older
Sunpak 3400 (hammer style). Big
rig, but looks even more impressive, and a
little faster to use as the
flash's column is sturdy enough to hold
with the left hand while the right
lets go of the pistol grip to advance. Flash
photography with Rolleiflex
adds another dimension, and about six more
orders of difficulty, but it's
fun.
Elias
On Dec 7, 2008, at 7:58 PM, Carlos Manuel
Freaza wrote:

Elias, I repeat the URL for the equipment
setup photograph, my message
apperead in the list, perhaps you did  not
receive it (please let me know if
you could see the image).
It's the third photograph, I wrote
it's not a good scanning due to I used my
old scanner:

http://dobleobjetivo.blogspot.com/2006/10/some-rollei-tlr- cameras.html
Carlos

--- El dom 7-dic-08, Elias Roustom

De: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Asunto: [rollei_list] Re: Pistol Grip
Para: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fecha: domingo, 7 de diciembre de 2008, 9:50
pm
Hi Carlos,
Mark and I mean a photo of the camera with the
pistol grip
and the
flash - I found the URLs for the two photos
you took
(beautiful), but
I could not find any URL for a photo of the
camera. Is
there one?
Jerry - I don't mean I want a photo posted
to the list,
I mean a link
to a photo posted elsewhere.
Elias
On Dec 7, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Carlos Manuel
Freaza wrote:

If you read my first answer to your post, I
wrote the

URL for two

photographs taken using the set-up and I also
wrote

the URL about

the setup photograph.-
Carlos
--- El dom 7-dic-08, Mark Rabiner

De: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Para: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fecha: domingo, 7 de diciembre de 2008, 9:34
pm
Lets see a picture that setup takes.

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark William Rabiner

From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 12:01:15 -0800
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Pistol Grip
Sorry, but the RUG won't accept photos

Elias Roustom wrote:

On Dec 7, 2008, at 5:21 AM, Carlos Manuel

Freaza

wrote:

to use an electronic flash via a flash

bracket