[rollei_list] Re: Peter K. and The Survivability of Film

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 08:13:06 -0500

Austin,

See, I knew you were setting me up for a gainsay match - Is too! Is not!, ad nauseam. Why should I believe you? With the absence of research data, what you said is just another opinion.

Rob

On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Austin Franklin wrote:

Hi Rob,

Sorry, not getting into this one - My fingers and brain are too tired
to get into a gainsay so late in the day.

That sure is a cop out.

You have some choices -
believe me, ignore me or do your own research and prove me wrong -
just do a little surfing on the high fidelity websites.

Well, lucky for us I spent over ten years working on this very subject ;-) After many years of research and development of digital audio equipment...I concluded that it depends on what you mean by "data". You can increase bit depth and sample rate ad-infinitum, but whether that increased amount of data gives you increased fidelity (accuracy of reproduction) is what the question is. And, the answer is no, vinyl does not have more "usable" data
when compared to a standard CD.

Machs Nix to
me, in my heart and eardrums I know I am right.

Well, what your eardrums hear is harmonic distortion.  As humans, it's
pleasing to our ears, so sometimes, we *think* something with a higher
harmonic distortion sounds better than the same "thing" without it, even though the fidelity is less. So, given the right playback equipment, I don't disagree that vinyl *can* sound "better", but that does not mean it
has more data.

Regards,

Austin