[rollei_list] Re: Perspective control with Rollei 6x6

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:15:22 -0400

Listers,

Since I'm new (relatively) to using Rolleis, I have what is probably
a newbie question, and I think I know the answer, but I'll post anyway:

I've noticed in some of my shots that I get perspective distortion,
as in the shot just posted on my site, #1.  I assume the distortion
occurred because of the camera angle.  That is, the camera was lower
than the subject, pointing up, which caused the outer edges of the
image to bend inward.

When shooting portraits, I've attempted to keep the lens and subject
within the same vertical plane, to reduce distortion.

Am I correct in my assumptions, and do you folks have any tips/
tricks, etc., for me?

TIA,

Ken

Richard K:

Your are correct. Actually, the perspective is not distorted, its the viewing distance that is wrong. If the "distorted" image is viewed from the right distance it will look normal because this is what the eye actually sees. (snipped)

I'll just add that this so-called perspective distortion (as Richard says, non-ortho viewing conditions) is really a factor when shooting closer than 5 feet or so. If you are finding faces rendered uncomfortably, try backing off a bit...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List