[rollei_list] Re: Pan or Ball

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:27:44 -0500

So far most of you seem to prefer the pan head to the ball. I tend to agree which is why I haven't made the move to replace my Gitzo R No. 3. Like Jim, I like to move or zero in each axis separately. I do realize that the new drag settings on ball heads allow more control and the newer heads don't flop around like the older models. Even so, I like being in total control of a heavy camera.

I have the Really Right Stuff (RRS) quick release clamp permanently affixed the Gitzo. Like Thor, I really admire RRS gear, its very well made and engineered. The only down side to the RRS quick release clamp is that the round spirit level is covered up by large cameras. I think RRS gear is directed primarily to digital SLRs. My 45A Toyo has the quick release plate and it is so easy to set up in the field - no fussing about tightening nuts. I think I'll get another plate and put a Rolleiflex Tripod mount on it. That'll result in a custom made Rollie quick release mount.

Ferdi, I've never looked into geared heads vs pan heads but their compactness is inviting - no long axis wands that seem to get caught in trees and are always where you don't want them to be.

Thanks for all your responses!

Rob

On Mar 5, 2009, at 5:00 AM, Ferdi Stutterheim wrote:

I use a Manfrotto 3-way geared head (Manfrotto #410, the smaller one out of two geared heads, not sure about the Bogen #) on a 3 Series Gitzo to support my 6008i or my Technika. I do not really like ball heads for heavy cameras and I feel the geared head is more comfortable to use and more precise and stable than a normal 3-way pan head.

On the downside: I find the #410 a bit heavy for walking around. My walk about camera is a Rolleiflex TLR on a Gitzo Traveller with a small Gitzo ball head.

Note to engineers subscribed to this List: I write "I feel (find) ..." in the hope to avoid the need to provide proof for my statements. <grin>

Ferdi.

----
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 4-mrt-2009, om 21:48 heeft Robert Lilley het volgende geschreven:

I am thinking of replacing my old Gitzo Rational No.3 pan head with a large new Really Right Stuff type ball head. My tripod is a Ries J600 Backpacker model and the cameras I'll use would be the Rollieflex and 4x5A Toyo Field. Anyone have any comments as to whether to pan or ball?

Rob

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org