[rollei_list] Re: PJ and the Rollei

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:02:39 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:41 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] PJ and the Rollei

With all the discussion about Hasselblads and Rolleis, it seems interesting to me thatthe vast majority of PJs during the 50s and 60s were using Rollei TLRs. Yes, there were some Nikons, Leicas, and of course a few Speed Graphics but why no Hasselblads for PJ work. Anyone have any idea as to why
this was? Just curious.

--
Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬

I don't know but I have a couple of guesses. All the above named cameras allow the photographer to see the image at the moment of exposure. This is not true of any single lens reflex other than a very few that had beam splitter viewers. The latter have a whole set of vices all their own. Also, most early SLRs stayed blacked out after the exposure until the shutter film was wound and the shutter was reset. There is a story, and I have no memory of where I first saw it, of how the Speed Graphic came to dominate press photography. Initially it was the Graflex camera, usually in 5x7 size that most press photogs used. Well the tale is that a New York Times photog was killed photographing an automobile race from track-side because he had his face in the finder hood and did not see an oncoming car that hit him. The Times ruled that no more Graflexs be used so the fellows switched to Speed Graphics. While the early Graphics had no means of focusing other than the ground glass or the footage scale they were usually used at such small apertures that guess-focusing with the aid of the scale was good enough. The GG on a Graphic is just too slow for press work. The story may be true and it is certainly a fact that the number of Graflex cameras which show up in press photographs diminished quite rapidly around the mid-1920s although many remained in use through the 'thirties. Anothere advantage of the SG is that its an eye level camera. A Graflex, or a Rollei, for that matter, is blocked when the photog is in a crowd. Either can be held above the head to make a sort of periscope but a Rollei is a whole lot lighter and smaller and is quite practical for this. Also, I think the Rollei was something of a transitional camera. Press photographers and newspapers found they could get good enough quality from 35mm and rapidly changed over to it. 35mm cameras give the photographer a lot more fire-power so to speak than the press camera. I think the Rolleis were somewhere in the middle of this evolution giving a negative somewhere in between in size and more forgiving of process handling than 35mm. I grew up with the Speed Graphic and like them but there is no doubt that either a Rollei or 35mm camera is much faster, lighter, and easier to handle.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA