[rollei_list] Our Uncle Bob, was Re: Limit of Rolleicord Triotar, prices

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:21:32 -0400

On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 11:49 PM 10/11/2006, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Remember that at the time price fixing of products was legal and common. Discounts were often given by dealers but could not be advertised.
Prochnow gives prices in DM for the time the cameras were released. While converting these prices to U.S. ones can not be done directly the _ratio_ is interesting.

It certainly can be done, Richard. This was the era of the "four-to-one Mark" -- four Marks to the dollar. So, divide the DM prices by four, then go over to any of the inflation calculators on the Web, and Bob's your uncle. DM360 in 1954, for instance, would be around $620 today.

Marc

Marc,

In two of your posts on different subjects, you employed the phrase "and Bob's your uncle."
Since this phrase is unknown to me, may I ask: Is this a localism,
or did you lose a bet?

Allen Zak