[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: Rolleinars

  • From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:12:43 -0600 (CST)

I use the 3.5F Planar and a T. I prefer the 3.5F, but I do like the lighter weight of the T and the angled shutter release, which works very well for eyelevel shooting with either the open frame of the WL finder or with the prism. I have had several 2.8F's and they always seem to me to be noticeably heavier, even though the scale says that difference in weight is very small. The longer focal length also bothers me. I've just shot with the 75mm lens too long.

Robert

On Jan 23, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Allen Zak wrote:

Actually, I have two; MX-EVS w/Xenar and 3.5F w/Planar. I use them more or less interchangeably, depending mostly on whim. For color transparencies I prefer the Planar, also occasionally I like to use a Rollei prism, but mostly I grab and go with the first one at hand. They are in identical bags not easy to tell apart at a glance, so every once in a while I don't know which I have until picture time. My attitude toward photo gear has always been a touch eccentric, I must admit.

Allen Zak

On Jan 23, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Robert Meier wrote:

Allen,

That sounds like an excellent basic outfit.   Which Rollei?

Bob

On Jan 23, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Allen Zak wrote:

I regard the #1 to be essential equipment. It bridges, for me, a critical gap in close focussing. Of the Rolleinar series, I find the #1 most viable, the others less satisfactory in use because the parallax is too pronounced to predict results with enough accuracy. Some photographers use them well, but I have a hunch that except for controlled studio situations, serendipity often plays a role in results.

Over decades and after many iterations, my essential Rollei gear evolved to: camera (one only), neck strap, lens hood, light meter, small flash, medium yellow filter, Rolleinar #1, Rolleifix, film, all packed into a LowePro Minimag camera bag. Other Rollei accessories come along as needed, but this is my basic, out-the-door outfit that I have carried 20+ years.

Allen Zak

On Jan 23, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Ferdi Stutterheim wrote:

Thor,

I believe you will find some of the information you are after here:

http://www.stutterheim.org/rolleigraphy/rolleinar_table.htm

It is more than 10 years ago since i have used a Rolleinar. IIRC the parallax correction prism works "good enough".

Ferdi
----
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 22 jan 2010, om 14:41 heeft Thor Legvold het volgende geschreven:

I'd like to hear more about the Rolleinars, as I have all 3, but found them a bit fiddly to use compared to the 6008/90mm APO-Symmar makro I recently posted. Any suggestions? How close can you go? How well does the parralax system work?

Cheers,
Thor

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org