[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:59:20 -0500

If you want to find out how street photography is done with a Rollei, I can think of no better source than the work of this remarkable amateur:

http://www.vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

Allen Zak

On Jan 22, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Hagner, Andrew wrote:

Marc:

I had been on the list in the late 90's and early 2000's and learned a great deal about the Rollei cameras in excruciating detail: film flatness, fine differences between various TLRs, Xenotars vs. Planars, Xenar vs. Tessar, etc...etc....I have been reading the list in the recent months and to me the list is fine. Obviously less Rollei content but the content is mostly photography oriented. There is only so much that can be said about these fine cameras, so filling in with interesting classic photography related content with a sprinkle of Rollei related stuff is fine in my book.

Marc, do not be troubled, the list is fine,  - Andrew.

P.S. My photography is mostly related to landscapes, but in the late 90's I have been feeling "stale". So, to break out from the stagnation I asked myself what would be the most challenging type of photography for me to try. Street photography came to mind where one has to face strangers face to face up close. I seem to be doing both types now in the ratio of 50:50 and I think they both complement each other as they require different attitudes, different techniques and they seem to keep me "fresh". Although I never tried it, I had been toying with the idea to try a Rollei TLR rather than my traditional 35mm equipment for taking street photographs. I would ask the those who practice it, how it is generally done. I presume pre-focusing must be on the top of the useful techniques like I use it on my 35 mm rangefinders and SLRs.

Andrew Hagner (P.Eng.) | Senior Geotechnical Engineer, Associate | Golder Associates Ltd.
85 Curlew Drive, Suite 110, Don Mills, Ontario, Canada M3A 2P8
T: [+1] (416) 383 1760 (ext. 223) | F: [+1] (416) 383 1762 | E: ahagner@xxxxxxxxxx | www.golder.com

This e-mail transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. Electronic media is susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work product may not be relied upon.