[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:00:07 -0500

> How about some off the beaten track lens discussion, specifically, to get the
> ball rolling, how have people felt about the venerable Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar?
> I have one in LTM mount, originally sold (this incarnation) with the Rollei
> Rangefinder made by Cosina (lens too, I believe). I use my lens with the
>  screw adapter for use on M mount rangefinders.  I find it an ideal lens for
> the Voigtlander Bessa R3A (mine)  or R3M (mechanical shutter purists), as the
> camera has 40mm framelines, a 1:1 magnification viewfinder which works very
> well with two eye shooting with the 40mm FL, and a short rangefinder baseline
> just long enough to accurately focus lenses up to about 50mm (dicey beyond
> that FL, I think).  I think the lens produces lovely images with a classic
> Sonnar look, not unlike the wonderful Zeiss ZM 50/1.5 Sonnar.  I understand
> that there is an 80 or 85mm big sister that Rollei also produced in very small
> numbers for the same Rollei Rangefinder (Cosina made) that the 40mm was
> originally matched for.  I am very interested in learning more about this
> longer lens is anyone on the list has knowledge of or experience with the
> lens.  I am curious as to list member's experiences and opinions with this
> incarnation, as well as earlier versions, of this classic Rollei lens.
> Larry

Yes there are Leica Rollei cross overs other than the fact that the have
both inhabited the same camrea bag on so many occasions. They are like
peanut butter and jelly.
All I can see is I am very fond of the nietzsche 40mm focal length.
A friend of mine has got the Rollei Cosina.
There's  an internet legend of it being less great close in. I'd not give it
any weight.
Me I've got the Summicron C 40mm at this point.
It says Leitz on it instead of Leica going far back enough and it way more
compact than either my honking 35 apsh Summicron or 50 Summicron with
removable hood. And the 40 just happens to be my favorite lens.
I tend to use it more than any other lens on my M system.
The problem also being that I don't use my M system when I shoot film I use
my IIIF. So that Rollei Cosina would be very handy I love exterior view
finders on the top of my camera .  Though I just have no problem with my
35mm Summaron. Other than its slightly confusing ergonomics and mines the
3.5 with one with modern comparable results being the 2.8. So when it comes
to making a rather large print from a good scan from this stuff I'll see as
much inimical "fingerprint" as I can handle.
A more modern lens like the 40 would be useful for when I just want a clean
result with lots of resolution.
And my 50 elmar is more fingerprint than a barrel of monkeys.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner